To allow a safe distance from overhead lines, buried lines and pad-mounted transformers, use the following minimum clearances when locating buildings, storage areas and other installations.
Transmission lines are typically built on a right-of-way. Permission from SaskPower is required to build or locate anything on a transmission line right-of-way.
If your equipment contacts a power line, call 310-2220 immediately and stay inside the vehicle until help arrives.
Minimum Horizontal Clearances:
|How Far Away Should Items be From...(metres/feet)||Overhead Lines||Buried Lines||Pad-Mounted
|Fuel tanks||7.5m (25 ft)||1.5m (5ft)||7.5m (25ft)|
|Bales, haystacks and feedlots||15m (50 ft)||N/A||6m (20ft)|
|Homes||15m (50ft)||0.6m (2ft)||6m (20ft)|
|Barns, sheds, Quonsets and garages||15m (50ft)||0.6m (2ft)||6m (20ft)|
|Granaries||15m (50ft)||0.6m (2ft)||6m (20ft)|
|Water wells||15m (50ft)||1.5m (5ft)||1.5m* (5ft)|
|Antennas||3m+height of antenna||1.5m (5ft)||3m (10ft)|
*Distance should be 3 metres on door side of transformer.
Worried that your buildings, storage areas and other installations don’t meet minimum clearances? Call us at 1-888-757-6937 or apply online. We’ll come out and evaluate the circumstances of your installation.
- Install yard lights a minimum of 0.3 metres below the lowest voltage service, but never directly beneath the transformer.
- Take care to avoid damage to ground wires and rods.
- Report any damage to SaskPower immediately by calling 310-2220.
- Point grain bin doors away from power lines. Do not locate bins on both sides of a high-voltage power line.
- Before digging contact Sask 1st Call for underground line locating services – 1-866-828-4888 or www.sask1stcall.com/.
- Use extreme caution when moving tall equipment around power lines.