SaskPower Invites Customers to Volunteer for Early Smart Meter Installation
January 16, 2020
SaskPower is looking for 2,000 residential and business customers who would like to have a commercial smart meter installed in 2020.
“We’re thrilled to offer our customers the chance to realize the benefits of smart meters this year,” said Shawn Schmidt, SaskPower Vice-President, Distribution and Customer Services. “As the province moves to a smart grid we’ll be able to find and fix outages faster, and customers will no longer receive estimated bills.”
These meters have been tested rigorously and exceed industry standards. Smart meters have instant benefits that some customers will wish to take advantage of as soon as possible. These include:
- Being billed on exactly the amount of power used each month. This would eliminate estimated bills between actual meter reads, which can sometimes lead to high true-up bills.
- Getting access to detailed information about power use, which is helpful for finding cost savings opportunities.
- No longer having a meter reader enter your property, which could benefit customers who have dogs.
Smart meters are free of cost to customers. If you’d like to put your name on the list for a smart meter, sign up on saskpower.com/smartsignup. If meter supplies run out, you’ll be given priority when we install more meters.
Since 2017, SaskPower has installed more than 8,000 commercial smart meters across the province, including on our own SaskPower facilities. By the end of 2020, nearly 30,000 SaskPower smart meters will be installed.
For more information about smart meters and SaskPower’s plans to build a smart grid, visit Building a Smart Grid.
At a glance...
- SaskPower is making 2,000 commercial smart meters available to customers upon request
- Smart meters are free of cost
- SaskPower customers can sign up for a meter at saskpower.com/smartsignup