Where: Swift Current, SK
Fuel source: Natural Gas
Power capacity: 353 megawatts (MW)
Facts about the Chinook Power Station
- The Chinook Power Station can power up to 350,000 homes in Saskatchewan.
- The project was a $605 million investment in our power grid.
- Construction started in January 2017 and officially opened in December 2019.
- The project resulted in over $140 million in contracts to local companies. Offsite manufacturing was done in Oxbow, Biggar, Regina and Swift Current. This supported the project including:
- the power plant stack
- large water storage tanks
- pipe rack modules
- the air-cooled condensing fan assembly
- Over $9 million in contracts to Indigenous contractors, suppliers and workers.
- There were over 600 workers onsite during peak construction. This included workers from Saskatchewan businesses and skilled tradespeople, both unionized and non-unionized. The site permanently employs 25 workers.
- We added new infrastructure to connect the power from the new Chinook Power Station. These lines help us move power to our customers in Swift Current and surrounding area. These lines run about 200 km in length from Swift Current to Moose Jaw.
This page makes me feel: