Where: Estevan, SK
Fuel source: Coal
Power capacity: 276 megawatts (MW)
Facts about the Shand Power Station
- This power station only has 1 unit that can produce 276 MW of power
- In 1993, Shand received a Power Plant Award from Power Magazine. This award was because of the power stations advanced environmental design
- Shand Power Station provides recycled waste heat to the Shand Greenhouse to heat it in the winter
Advanced Environmental Design
Using state-of-the-art technology, the Shand Power Station runs as efficiently as possible. This includes:
- Tuning the boiler temperature and air quality. This lowers nitrogen oxide formations by up to 50% that cause acid rain and smog.
- A water management system. Making sure no water's disposed of in the environment, except through evaporation.
- A dry scrubber to trap over 99% of the fly ash. Helping to remove harmful pollutants before it ever leaves the power station's smokestacks.