Where: North Battleford, SK
Fuel source: Natural Gas
Power capacity: 135 megawatts (MW)
Facts about the Yellowhead Power Station
- This station uses 3 simple cycle gas turbines.
- The Grid Control Centre (GCC) in Regina can operate the units remotely. This is through a dedicated fibre optic link. This allows the GCC to pick which mode the grid needs for operation.
- The power station is operated through a dedicated fibre optic link from Regina.
- During winter, waste heat from the power stations air compressor is used to heat the connected building.
- When the power stations not creating power, it's designed for reactive power flow. That means it increases the efficiency of power delivery.